Debt-ridden businessman admits stabbing support worker to death during meeting

Debt-ridden businessman admits stabbing support worker to death during meeting

Inderjit Ram admitted stabbing support worker Belinda Rose to death during a meeting.

A businessman who stabbed a support worker to death after suffering a breakdown while battling depression has admitted manslaughter.

Inderjit Ram, whose firm offering residential support to vulnerable adults was on the brink of collapse, knifed 63-year-old colleague Belinda Rose five times during a meeting at one of his properties.

Birmingham Crown Court heard that Ram, 52, handed himself into police shortly after the killing in the Perry Barr area of the city on August 17 last year.

Explaining the decision not to seek a trial for murder, prosecutor Adrian Keeling QC said two psychiatrists agreed Ram was suffering from an impairment of mental function at the time of the attack.

Ram will no longer be tried for murder after prosecutor accepted his plea.

The court heard Ram was jailed for violent disorder as a schoolboy, but went on to get a degree in chemistry before starting up his business.

He also ‘struggled on and off’ with depression since 2007. The psychiatric reports concluded he suffered a ‘loss of control and mental function’when he stabbed the grandmother.

She worked alongside Ram as a support worker and the court heard their relationship ‘was both amicable and good’.

However, she began to spend less time at the properties to care for her partner when he suffered a stroke.

Mr Keeling said: ‘As a result of her absence the business started to suffer. This would have left the defendant in substantial financial difficulties.’

The prosecutor added that Ram ‘requested money from everybody’, including Ms Rose, and the two agreed to meet up on August 17, which was ‘nothing out of the ordinary’.

Ms Rose was stabbed five times during a meeting with Ram.

He continued: ‘No one else was present at that meeting. It’s not known why, but at some point the defendant attacked Ms Rose.

‘It’s clear that there must have been an argument. The exact trigger for that argument is unclear.

‘There is nothing to suggest that the defendant had gone to that meeting with the intention of serious violence of any nature.’

He was spotted on CCTV leaving the property and records show he had phoned his wife within half an hour to tell him what he’d done before she called 999 and they attended a police station.

Ram, from the Great Barr area of the city, was remanded in custody ahead of sentence on a date to be fixed.

Speaking afterwards, Detective Inspector Hannah Whitehouse said: ‘The family of Ms Rose have been left without a mother and grandmother and she was also due to get married to her long-term partner.

‘Although Ram has accepted his responsibility for the death of Belinda with his plea, it will never bring her back. However, I hope it brings some closure to her family.’